1965: From the Start
The Middle Georgia Area Planning Commission was formed when Bibb, Crawford, Houston, Jones, Monroe, Peach, and Twiggs counties voluntarily joined together.
The stated objective of the middle Georgia area planning commission was to work towards the total development of the human, economic, and natural resources of the middle Georgia area. By joining together, they created an advisory organization to provide member governments with technical services from professional staff in a variety of disciplines.
1973: Our Transition
The Middle Georgia Area Planning Commission transitioned to the Middle Georgia Area Planning and Development Commission to reflect the added activity of economic development. Organizational bylaws underwent substantial changes to alter the membership of the board, requiring for the first time that two-thirds of the board membership be elected officials. The purpose of the Middle Georgia Area Planning and Development Commission and the services offered became even more encompassing to meet the needs of the member governments, which has always been a core goal of the organization. Additional staff were added primarily in the fields of planning and human services, which would later become the area agency on aging.
1978: Designated By The U.S. Department Of Commerce
Middle Georgia was designated by the United States Department of Commerce as an economic development district, allowing the provision of an array of economic development services to its member governments.
1983: The Lending Arm: Georgia Small Business Lender
The Development Corporation of Middle Georgia was created as the lending arm of the organization and has since become known as the Georgia Small Business Lender.
1989: Became The Middle Georgia Regional Development Center
The Middle Georgia Area Planning and Development Commission became the Middle Georgia Regional Development Center (RDC) through the Georgia state planning act of 1989. The RDC was tasked with developing, promoting, and assisting in the establishment of coordinated and comprehensive planning in the state, and with assisting local governments in preparing and implementing comprehensive plans to develop and promote essential public interests. To meet the changing demands and requirements of its member governments, the RDC continued to expand its professional staff and technical expertise, including the field of GIS computer mapping and related technology services. For the first time since it was established, the boundary of the organization was modified in 1993, to include Baldwin, Jasper, Putnam, and Wilkinson counties. Finally, in 1997 the current service area was established when Pulaski County was added, and Jasper County was reassigned to the Northeast Georgia RDC.
2009: Became The Middle Georgia Regional Commission
Once again, the time had come for the organization that began as the Middle Georgia Area Planning Commission to transition. On July 1, 2009, the Middle Georgia Regional Commission was established. This was a result of the commission for a new Georgia service delivery task force and subsequent legislation called house bill 1216 (HB 1216). HB 1216 consolidated the number of regional development centers from 16 to 12, changed the name of the organization, and modified the governing body to include appointments from the governor, lieutenant governor, and speaker of the house. For the first time in our 44-year history, HB 1216 authorized regional commissions to provide direct services to local governments.
2013: Macon-Bibb Workforce Development Was Added
At the request of the city of Macon and the consent of Governor Deal, Middle Georgia Regional Commission added workforce development to the complement of economic development services.
Although the organization has changed names, added new programs, and new communities, the purpose and focus remain the same–service to local governments and citizens of middle Georgia.
MGRC Historical Logo Transition